- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 cup coarsely crushed saltines (about 22 crackers)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 6 walleye fillets (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- Canola oil
- Additional honey
- In a shallow bowl, beat egg and honey. In another bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, flour, salt and pepper. Dip fillets into egg mixture, then coat with crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil; fry fish over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork. Drizzle with honey.
1 each: 189 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 133mg cholesterol, 296mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Honey-Fried Walleye in Taste of Home August/September 1999